Direct messaging is a type of communication between social media users that involves a sender and a receiver or recipient. Direct messaging is a private message because it goes directly from a sender to the inbox of the recipient. The direct message helps business owners to explain complex issues about a product to the customer, also in settling disputes that might have come up in the course of the business transactions.
The most commonly used social media platforms allow the use of Direct Messaging (DM), like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and so on. Despite allowing the use of direct messaging, each social media platform has its variation with regard to the method of operation and restrictions.
Some of the rules that govern the direct messaging of these social media platforms are;
1. On Facebook, before sending a direct message to a page, you’ll have to like the page. Liking the page gives you authenticity.
2. On Instagram, while using a direct message, be aware that you are bound to send a direct message to 15 people.
3. On Twitter, you’ll be allowed to send a direct message to up to 50 recipients, before which, you must have followed the people you are sending the direct message.
The above terms show that direct messaging is a very bright tool for marketing in this contemporary age. DM helps to build a bond between a business owner and customers. It sends a feeling of a bond because it is arranged in an intimate pattern that involves sending and receiving.
Using social media as a marketing tool is very good because social media helps to design a pattern that sustains businesses online. When a product is publicly eulogized on social media, it goes a long way in putting the business on a better side of the marketing system. Despite the positive and terrific praises that might be applauded when a product serves well, there might also be negative criticism about that same product. When a product is negatively criticized publicly, the business owner might apologize publicly for the inconveniences, but the DM helps the marketer and the customer to review the order, agree on a better solution and come to terms for the sake of future transactions.
For instance, when a transaction is done between a marketer and a customer, it is normal in this age of social media that such customer might go to the social media page of the marketing company to report a problem if there be any, might be on a Facebook post, tweet, Facebook wall or an Instagram post. It is necessary for the marketing company to reply via the same post or tweet, but the DM helps both parties in analyses, reviews, and agreements.
The best method of using a DM
Direct messaging is a very great tool for better business and social media life, but it has to be used appropriately in other to yield a better result. Below are some ethics that will help in Direct Messaging.
1. Use direct messages appropriately. When sending DMs to people, you should first of all think if they are the right recipients. Sending DMs without directions might demean the purpose of the message. If you are sending offers and promotions, it should be within the circle of those that are meant to receive it.
2. When using a DM in marketing, make sure you understand the customer’s needs, frequently asked questions, then prepare for them to make replying to them fast and easy. Your engagement and response speed place you in a better position in the marketing platform.
3. Be consistent in sending messages and replying messages. When using a DM, you should avoid unnecessary familiarity that might jeopardize the main purpose of the conversation or messages.
4. Respond to negative reviews through DM. When customers complain openly on social media sites, apologize publicly, but send them a DM quickly and solve the problem immediately.
5. Use direct messaging to interact with customers. The feeling of exchanging ideas with customers helps to keep you updated and also helps to improve customer experience.
6. Use DM to exchange private information. When demanding personal data on social media, the DM is the best avenue for such exchange of information.
7. Be careful when you are loaded with multiple messages. Before replying to a DM, make sure you are replying to the intended message, sometimes sending a wrong message to a customer can be disastrous to the business.
8. Create chatbots. To keep your customers busy, create a bot that will reply to messages that are not too serious, keep them busy as they help themselves out with the service, while you focus on more important messages.
Benefits of Direct Messaging
1. Using faxes and enveloped mails can possibly enter the wrong hands. Direct messaging increases the security of essential and critical information due to encryptions that go with direct messages and files which ensures that they can only be accessed by the intended recipient.
2. Using direct messaging helps to improve engagement and customer experience. It saves you and customers the stress of sending urgent content through e-mail or faxes.
3. Sending DMs to customers helps to build a bond between brand owners and their customers. This helps to uplift the brand’s reputation.
4. Direct messaging helps in accessing opportunities easily. It helps to communicate business partners easily, meet and communicate with influencers, and brand ambassador too.
Currently, the idea of direct messaging not only involves sending and receiving personal messages via social media houses like Facebook and Twitter. Recently, it has excelled with other developed applications such as Viber, hike, etc. In the year 2010, Facebook announced its new Facebook Messaging service, this messenger allowed users to send and receive personal messages to each other through the confinement of the Facebook site. Twitter moved in the same line with a speed of light and introduced their own form of direct messaging, this happens in the year 2013.
In this modern time, the direct messaging has moved from sending only letters, it now has the capability of sending a picture or video message. For instance, Snapchat is an app that gives users the liberty of sending personal pictures and videos to other users. It is evident that Direct messaging is making conversation and business communication easier and safer.